March 11, 2009

"Art Nouveau Harley-Davidson"

Oil on Canvas 27 1/2" x 42"

This piece has been knocking around the studio for quite a while. Intrigued by Alphonse Mucha's use of heavy delineation to flatten the figure, I decided to see if I could update it with the help of my Ultra Classic Harley-Davidson and my model Stephanie. The painting was quite a departure for a staunch realist like me. It is certainly unique. That 1997 wine berry and charcoal paint scheme on the bike was a knockout. I learned, too, that I am way too lazy to own a bike with white walled tires.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting new look/style for you.

And I love the little Jack Russell - such sweet, funny creatures, which you've captured perfectly. As you know, I have a real soft spot for little old terriers.

Don Gray said...

You are such a versatile painter, Mark. This is an interesting stylistic combination. I don't know why it works, but it does...due in large measure to your great skill.

Mark Adams said...

Deb,

Not really a "new" look. I did this painting about 4 years ago while searching for my muse. My HOG chapter liked it when they came for the progressive dinner here. Thanks for all your help with the kitties. I am off to take Bristol to the spay/neuter center in a few minutes.

Mark Adams said...

Thanks, Don. Viewers of my blog haven't seen much of my larger work so I thought I would like some older paintings get some air. I have been painting these tiny paintings for so long that I have forgotten what it's like to actually swish some paint.

Lis said...

Ola, trabalho maravilhoso, parabéns, abraços da Lis

Mark Adams said...

Obrigado, Lis

Dean Grey said...

Very sleek. I love it!

The painting almost looks like watercolors. I was surprised that it was done in oils instead.

Mucha would be proud!

-Dean

Mark Adams said...

Thanks, Dean. That modulated background and flattened figure were quite a departure for this photo-realist.