January 16, 2015

"Teal Bands"

Oil on museum quality Ampersand Gessobord panel
8" x 10"
2015


To paraphrase Professor Higgins - "By George, I think he's got it!"  I have finally figured out this daily painting thing.  Six new works in six days!  The daily paintings are meant, for me at least, to be a sort of warm-up exercise to start the day.  For the longest time I have treated them as more like small jewels than sketches, not that there is anything wrong with that.  The hours involved in some of the small but very complex works of the past didn't make fiscal sense and I lost my way.  This Harley painting is a case in point:

 

While the painting is lovely, I got very little for it, considering the hours spent on it.   This is one of those paintings that I wish I had kept for myself.  I have at last discovered that the joy of creation is in letting the paint speak for itself.  "That looks like a photograph." is not necessarily a good thing in this day and age of computers and Photoshop.  I want people to say - "That looks like a painting"

2 comments:

Margaret said...

… your compositions are what always stand out first for me. Very unique usually and well thought out. I think this is very inviting …

Mark Adams said...

Thanks, Margaret. I try.