July 23, 2013

Today's Tuesday Tip - "JARS"

Jars on my rolling work table

Anyone who knows me intimately will tell you that I hate to throw anything away.  I'm not saying I'm a candidate for the reality show about hoarders, at least I don't think I am, although my wife would beg to differ.  I just hate to dispose of things that may have a useful purpose somewhere down the line.  I am notorious about saving boxes and jars.  Once upon a time, when I was a younger man, many of my friends  had infant children who provided me with an endless stream of baby food jars to use while painting.  Turpentine, lacquer thinner, linseed oil, Maroger's medium, etc. all went into those convenient little jars.  I would pour settled turps from one jar to the other like a mad chemist.  I guess I got old, as literally no one I know has babies now.  Do they still make baby food in glass jars?  Anyway,  I found life after baby food jars in the form of other vessels - mustard jars, jelly jars, condiment jars, and old apothecary jars.  The latter are a recent addition to the table and the ones that delight me the most.  Once my turpentine was relegated to the metal gallon container in which it came - not very convenient and rather mundane.  The pharmacy jar, with its little glass stopper,  just pleases me.  Who knows, I may start grinding my own paint someday.

No comments: