June 17, 2008

"Crawfish"


Oil on museum quality, archival ampersand gessobord panel - 6" x 8"

Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans? I sure do. Here in Baltimore we have steamed blue crabs, which I love, but when I'm in New Orleans, put 5 pounds of boiled crawfish in front of me along with a couple of Dixie long necks and I'm in heaven. I tried to have a bit of fun with this piece. Once again I started with a black gessoed panel and reduced the elements to their essentials. Shape and color take center stage with form playing a minor role. The bay leaf supernumerary enjoyed a mute but important part in the production. Crawfish don't taste nearly as good as when eaten off the latest edition of the New Orleans Times Picayune.

4 comments:

Diane said...

This piece also is a mirror image of a meal enjoyed together... I could dig in... pass the beer!

PAT MEYER -- said...

I understand my neighbors fell the same way about their crawfish and will email this painting. They will love it.

Anonymous said...

I do know what it is to miss New Orleans. It's been years, but I can still smell the beignets, taste the cafe au lait, and hear the street musicians down in the French Quarter at Cafe Dumonde. It's definitely part of what inspired me to pick up the Tenor Sax later in life.

Mark Adams said...

John, I didn't know you played the sax. Very cool.