January 23, 2009

"Two horses with braided manes"

Oil on museum quality ampersand gessobord panel 8" x 8"

One of the most challenging things about recording the pageantry of the Blessing of the hunt held every Thanksgiving in Gyndon, Maryland is the intermingling of the hoi polloi and the hoity toity. The bucolic landscape of the valley is littered with petters in sweaters, mothers with strollers, teens with their iPods and photogs with tripods. Trying to get a clean shot is nearly impossible. Thankfully, as a painter, I can often just edit them out in the composition. While it might have been nice to include the quaint St. John's Episcopal Church in the background, there was something pleasing about the simplicity of this painting. The focus is on the magnificent beasts and the intricate harnesses and not the scene wherein they play in. I chose to use a simple blue into green gradient although not without trepidation. I had a back-of-my-mind fear that it may come off looking like the colored tissue paper that folks in the 50's put over their black and white TVs to simulate color; blue for the sky, red for the people and green for the grass. My fears turned out to be groundless, no pun intended, and the gambit paid off. The tack and harnesses proved to be much more labor intensive than I first imagined, but I always look at my reference and think I can lay it down in an hour and 6 hours later I am still pushing paint around. I may have to paint some fruit or oysters tomorrow just to prove to myself that I can paint a sketchy painting.

12 comments:

Liza Hirst said...

Wow, Mark! These two are beautiful!
Love the colours and the composition - great work!

Mark Adams said...

Thanks, Liza.

I had fun with this one.

Anonymous said...

As Liza said Beautiful colour and lovely composition, the chesnut horse has that feeling of finely constrained energy.

Mark Adams said...

Thanks, Elizabeth.

I think he (or she, i didn't look) was fully aware that a romp across the countryside chasing a fox was in his immediate future.

Anonymous said...

Another beautiful painting! I've seen that some other people are attempting to imitate your style...the most sincere form of flattery!

Do you think that you will paint people again, or are animals and still lives your true loves now? Whatever you decide to portray seems to respond to your brush in such beautiful ways. P.S. I still would like to see you do a painting of that poor fox.

Mark Adams said...

Thanks, Bob.
All my life I have wanted a "style." I'm flattered that you consider that I have reached that goal. I say "Bravo (or Brava)" to anyone who strives to paint like me. Go for it.
As to painting the figure - I have been remiss in that area. My entire artistic life had hitherto revolved around the human form, be it portrature, nudes or theatre imagery. I may try and play with the figure more this year. (or not)

Artist Toni Grote said...

Beautiful painting Mark! I am an instant fan!
Take care
Toni

Mark Adams said...

*blush* Thanks, Toni.

DToms said...

Amazing painting!! And loved your self-portrait with your kitty his expression was priceless.

Mark Adams said...

Thanks, Dee.

Anonymous said...

NICE WORK MARK

Mark Adams said...

thanks, kirk