October 20, 2008

"Llama"

Oil on museum quality, archival ampersand gessobord™ panel - 6” x 8”


I recently attended a party at the farm of some friends. They have quite a varied menagerie; llamas, a kangaroo, a wallaroo, goats, sheep, chickens, a pig and cats, lots and lots of cats.  I had never been face to face with a live llama.  My introduction to them was from Dr. Dolittle's Pushme-Pullyu, so you can image my surprise at seeing that they only had one head.  I also expected them to spit like camels, but one gave my friend Tom a kiss without so much as a little drool. I was impressed with these sweet creatures.


This just in:  I got an e-mail this morning from my friend Marsharee who tells me I have painted "motley blue". Llamas put their ears back at half mast like that when being a bit cautious and first meeting someone new, so this is his "hmmm, let me see what I think of you" face and ears.

10 comments:

Diane said...

What an enchanting face.. I can just feel the softness of his fur .. I wonder if they make better than poodles???

dominique eichi said...

OH my.. what a BEAUTIFUL face and so well done , I also like the soft background, it's the perfect picture.

Mark Adams said...

Diane, Probably better than you-know-who.

Mark Adams said...

Thanks, Dominique. I originally had the background all crispy and detailed and it bugged me, so at the last minute I took a big soft watercolor brush and dusted the whole thing, which changed the depth of field and gave the llama some real pop.

Anonymous said...

Sort of the "Mona Lisa" of llamas.

Mark Adams said...

Bob, It must be his wry smile.

Alice Thompson said...

You can feel the sun on his face and fur. Fantastic texture!

Mark Adams said...

Thanks, Alice. Painting him was like painting a feather boa. Speaking of feather boas, I am riding my Harley down to Key West for Halloween. The feathers will be flying next weekend!

PAT MEYER -- said...

I feel like he is trying to tell us something. Besides that he is just handsome as he can be.

Mark Adams said...

Pat, It is fun to see his smiling face in the studio.