October 8, 2008

"Piper's Felony Indictment"

Oil on museum quality, archival ampersand gessobord™ panel - 6” x 8”


Do you remember when you were in elementary school and you were out sick with the measles for a week?  You hated going back to class because you would be behind all the other kids and would have to catch up with the lessons.  The measles were not much fun but it was cool having your own private mini vacation.  I sometimes look at vacations like that.  They may be enjoyable, but the dreaded "cold start" awaits me in the studio.  I toyed with the idea of simplifying the blanket in this piece but I kind of like the wild animal aspect of it and the fluidity of dog and pattern.  Felony is another of Anne Stark's champion whippets.


3 comments:

Diane said...

glad, happy and delighted to enjoy another Adams K9 portrait... I am your
Fan #1

Terry said...

This one is interesting - not the usual instant gratification, it took me a minute to fully appreciate the use of line here, the wonderful repetition with variation, and how Felony's head is a part of that. Really, really well done.

Mark Adams said...

Thanks for picking up on that Terry. That's exactly what I liked about this composition. It could have felt a bit contrived, but I think it works.