September 3, 2008

"Newport Lobster"

Oil on museum quality, archival ampersand gessobord™ panel - 6” x 8”


My first job, years ago, was a crab steamer in Baltimore. I was in my teens and although I enjoyed the independence that those first meager paychecks brought, I was not comfortable sending thousands of crabs to their death every night when I opened that steam valve. I resigned myself to my place on the food chain and took comfort in the thought that they gave themselves to a greater good. However, my heart wasn't in it and soon, when an opening came up, a found myself in the kitchen as a short order cook and my love of food and cooking began.  

 

I was in Newport, Rhode Island last week and met two of these guys up close and personal. Thankfully they steamed them on the dock for us.  Even with my notorious past with crustaceans, I don't have the heart to plunge one of these guys into boiling water.  That said, they were delicious.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your rendition of my favorite crustacean is so colorful and striking. It seems a shame to prevent it from moving..ah, but then how could we truly enjoy it without being atacked!!!!!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Such an interesting painting... almost looks like chrome.

Mark Adams said...

Diana, I haven't been able to ride my bike since the appendectomy, I think that may have come through in this painting. Perhaps I should have called this painting "2008 Lobster-Glide." I miss my chrome horse.