August 25, 2008

"Harley-Davidson"

Oil on museum quality, archival ampersand gessobord™ panel - 8” x 10”


So much for taking it easy after my operation.  The painting you see here may prove to be what is known in artistic parlance, as a "unique" -  a unicorn, dodo bird, an Ivory-billed woodpecker, the last of its kind.  I don't know what possessed me to undertake such a painting other than my love of motorcycles and needing to ramp up the wow factor after my being away from the easel.  Do I like this painting?  Most definitely.  Would I do another one? I'm not sure.  Although I am delighted with the finished product, the application of paint was tedious; observe, mix, dab, repeat.  No subtle glazes and bravado brushwork, merely precise placement of just the right color. Wearing an opti-visor and using 1/8th inch filberts and a lining brush is really not my thing.  I am and have always been about the creative process, not necessarily the final product. If the process is good the resulting product will follow suit.  Perhaps that is why I like painting people and animals. There is room for the brush to interpret. Maybe painting inanimate objects isn't in me.  I have always been a figure and portrait painter.  I like my work looking back at me as I go along.  OK, maybe oysters don't exactly gaze out of the canvas, but you get my drift.  So enjoy the Harley.  Which is all I can do with my own Harley - look at it, as I am not allowed to lift it off the side stand for another 4 weeks.  I couldn't have had my appendix out in the dead of winter.

13 comments:

Diane said...

wow... wow... wow.. what a sexy.. shiny.. sensational cycle!

Jacqui Faye said...

SWEET!

daily painting journal said...

Superb!

Mark Adams said...

Diane, Jacqui, and DPJ - I appreciate the great comments, thanks!

Anonymous said...

It was well worth all the hard work. I love this piece!

Deb O

Don Gray said...

A kaleidescope of color and light--terrific!

Mark Adams said...

Thanks Deb and Don. I appreciate the kind words.

Anonymous said...

Wow, can't believe what you're able to do here - and on such a small canvas. Inspiring!

Mark Adams said...

K8,

Thanks for the gr8 compliment. My eyes still hurt after this one.

Unknown said...

Wow, Susan mentioned this last night and it sounded great, but to see it, Wow mark this is great, I love it...
tom

Mark Adams said...

Thanks, Tom. I'm glad you like it.

Joanne Licsko said...

It takes a lot of courage and love to even start a painting of this complexity, let alone finish it. Well done!

Sherry Maxwell said...

Its me again Mark, just wanted say, I love your Harley. I had one up till 2010. Had to let her go. Cause of my bad back. :( She was a beauty. White-Gold Pearl Heitage soft tail. My husband for now still has his Ultra Classic. Awesome rides here in NC on the Blue Ridge Parkway