February 3, 2015

"My Ever Loving Joy and Mr Mosby"

Oil on museum quality Ampersand Gessobord panel
8" x 10" 
2015

A visitor to the studio yesterday asked me if I liked painting horses.  I told him that I did but that I had a lot to learn about equestrian body language and other idiosyncrasies. A case it point - Joy, the little brown mare here, does not have her ears pricked forward.  Something which I did not pick up on.  I made a similar mistake a few years back when I painted my first llama.  His ears were way back, which signifies agitation.  I suppose I should be glad he didn't spit at me when I was in the field with him. I'll have to have a consultant to guide me with the hunt paintings I plan to do this Spring.  Tally Ho!    

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Personally, I like their ears like this. They are listening ears, or relaxed ears. I don't see this as irritated. FLAT back would be "warning" ears. Here it looks to me like they are enjoying an easy ride in the field and are listening to the rider and relaxing a bit. (I have a horse :) I should have you paint my sweet Oberon! I will probably ask you in the fall… :)

Mark Adams said...

Thanks, Margaret. Your words comfort me about Joy's ears. I love the name of your horse!

"I know a bank where the wild thyme blows,
Where oxlips and the nodding violet grows,
Quite over-canopied with luscious woodbine,
With sweet musk-roses and with eglantine."