August 16, 2013

Friday Flashback - "Cubist Dancers"

"Cubist Dancers"  Oil on canvas 1977

This cubist pas de deux surprised even me.  I recently received an e-mail from a man in Florida who attached an image of a painting that I had totally forgotten I had done.  In the old days, before the advent of digital photography, I kept a seldom-used 35mm Canon FTB camera loaded with slide film to record my paintings for posterity.  I would usually wait until I had a critical mass of 6 or 7 paintings before I would set up the studio lights to shoot them.  Occasionally a few slipped through the cracks due to someone coming to the studio and buying a wet canvas, no film in the camera, pure laziness on my part, etc.  Such was the case with this piece.  The cubist movement has always fascinated me and I was flirting with the concepts of analytic cubism a lot back in the 70's.   This kinetic work clearly had futurist inspiration with a nod to Marcel Duchamp's "Nu descendant un escalier n° 2" as evidenced by the upward movement of the dancer's leg.

No comments: